The applicant's completed file is reviewed among a committee of faculty members. Those applicants selected by the committee and approved by the Office of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies are notified of their admission to graduate school and fellowship award. All applicants are notified by email after the committee has completed its review.
In the selection of prospective graduate students at Rice, all available material is carefully evaluated, particularly:
1. The scholastic record as reflected by courses chosen and the quality of performance.
2. The evaluations of teachers and advisers.
3. Scores on the Graduate Record Examination. Note: Due to the extraordinary circumstances of the COVID-19 pandemic, the general GRE exam is optional (not required) for admissions this year.
4. The student's own goals, aspirations, and special interests.
5. Previous research experience.
Notifications of acceptance
Notification of acceptance normally starts around February and is ordinarily completed by April 15.