Late Applications¬†may¬†be considered until April 1 but candidates that miss the deadline place themselves in a less competitive position.
Note: ¬†Applications submitted will be time stamped Eastern Time.
Students interested in applying for admission to our Ph.D. program should do the following:
1. ¬†Submit a completed application form.¬†Apply online at:¬†¬†https://gradapply.rice.edu. ¬†The application will be available September 4.
2. ¬†GPA requirement.¬†The university required minimum GPA is¬†3.0 (B)or the equivalent. For further information, please see the¬†university requirements.
3. ¬†GRE¬†(Graduate Record Examination) requirement. ¬†The GRE general test and GRE subject test in physics are required. ¬†We will not accept GRE's older than 2 years. ¬†Unofficial GRE score reports are required to be uploaded to the online application system when the reports become available. Official GRE general and GRE subject test reports are also required. Instruct ETS (Educational Testing Service) to send these scores electronically or original documents to Rice University.¬†¬†Photocopies, attached files, faxes, or any other form of report, other than originals, CANNOT be used as official documents.¬† Testing must be scheduled allowing time for scores to be reported to Rice University by the application deadline.¬†¬†There is no minimum score on the GRE required for admission.¬†
The Institution GRE code for Rice University is:¬†¬†6609
The Department GRE code for Physics and Astronomy is:¬†¬†0808
4.¬†TOEFL¬†¬†(Test of English as a Foreign Language) requirement.¬†The TOEFL is required from international students whose native language is not English. ¬†We will not accept TOEFL or IELTS older than 2 years. ¬†The TOEFL and the IELTS are not required for U.S. Citizens and international students who earned a degree from a university in which English is the official language of communication.¬†¬†Unofficial TOEFL score reports are required to be uploaded to the online application system when the reports become available. Official TOEFL test scores are also required. Foreign applicants must have the testing service send the TOEFL scores electronically or original documents to Rice University.¬†¬†Photocopies, attached files, faxes, or any other form of report, other than originals, CANNOT be used as official documents. Testing must be scheduled allowing time for scores to be reported to Rice University by the application deadline.¬†Preferred scores are 95 iBT (internet-based) or¬†260 CBT (computer-based).¬†Minimum required scores are 90 iBT, 250 CBT, or 600 on the paper based.¬†¬†For students who choose to take the¬†IELTS¬†in lieu of TOEFL, the minimum score is 7.
The Institution TOEFL code for Rice University is:¬†¬†6609
The Department TOEFL code for Physics and Astronomy is:¬†¬†76
5. ¬†Transcript.¬†Official transcripts from all undergraduate and graduate schools attended are required.¬†Transcripts should be uploaded to the on-line applicationfor faster review of applications. If you are offered admission to Rice, official transcripts will be required and can either be sent directly to the department by the institution or sealed by the institution in a signed envelope and delivered by the applicant.¬†
6. ¬†Letters of recommendation.¬†Three letters of recommendation are required.¬†¬†The letters are usually written by faculty who are familiar with your work and can make an assessment of your potential for success in graduate school.
7. ¬†Application fee.¬†The application fee is $85.00.¬†¬†Your application can only be processed when the application fee has been received.¬†¬†This will be the last step of the online application process.
8.¬†¬†Application Checklist. ¬†Review the¬†Graduate Application Checklist¬†to make sure you met all the requirements and you are submitting a complete application.
E-mail inquiries¬†about the Physics and Astronomy graduate program at Rice should be directed to the Physics and Astronomy Department's Graduate Admissions Coordinator.
Submit application materials:
Official transcripts and GRE/TOEFL exam scores need to be sent directly to the department. ¬†For a complete list of documents needed, see the¬†Graduate Application Checklist.
Physics and Astronomy Department, MS-61
P.O. Box 1892
Houston, TX 77251-1892
COURIER SERVICE ADDRESS:
Physics and Astronomy Department, MS-61
Brockman Hall for Physics Building, Room 201
6100 Main Street
Houston, TX 77005