Instructions on petitioning to waive or substitute for a course requirement
Petitions should be sent, in writing or by e-mail, to the Chair of the Undergraduate Program Committee of the Department of Physics and Astronomy, Stephen Bradshaw.
For each course for which you request a waiver or substitution, you should provide the following information:
- The name and course number of the required course for which you are requesting a waiver or substitution.
- An unofficial copy of your transcript.
- In the case of a substitution: the name and course number of the proposed substitute course.
- If this course is outside the department, include a copy of the syllabus.
- Explain in your own words how the substitute course meets or exceeds the learning goals of the required course that you are requesting a substitution for. Your explanation may be supported by other appropriate materials; in particular, you might ask for a brief supporting statement from a faculty member who has recently taught the required or the substitute course.
- In the case of a waiver:
- Explain how you have already met or exceeded the learning goals of the required course concerned.
- If you are citing other coursework as evidence of this, you should provide the names, course numbers, and grades for each relevant course.